IT Project+: A CompTIA Certification
With tight pressure to cut costs and yet implement technology quickly, IT project managers are under severe pressure to complete projects on time, on budget, and at the promised quality. Yet industry figures consistently show that 90 percent of major IT project initiatives fail to be completed both on time and on budget. This course delves into the unique challenges of managing IT projects, and offers a roadmap to success.
You will define the IT specific challenges of project management, and methods to avoid common pitfalls.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- perform discovery and analysis to determine the true nature of the problem or opportunity, ascertain its relevance and feasibility, and identify associated risks.
- establish the high-level timetable and budget for the project.
- create the project planning documents, including Scope Statement, Project Charter, and Statement of Work.
- create the documents that lay the foundation for the project.
- conduct the management planning activities that result in the development of the project plan, used to control the execution process of the project.
- determine the ideal team composition, recruit, negotiate for, and assign team members.
- define a strategy for monitoring the project iteratively, calculate schedule and budget variances, manage the critical path, team, and vendor relationships, and monitor quality metrics.
- identify variances and outline corrective action, negotiate changes, and identify the proper course of action to avoid scope creep.
- execute the project transfer steps, including documentation, transfer process, sign-off, final project report, and a project team lessons-learned debriefing.
This course is designed for students who are new to project management in IT, or who are IT professionals starting to work as project managers in the field.
Lesson 1: Project Initiation: Discovery and Analysis
Lesson 2: Project Initiation: Estimating
Lesson 3: Project Initiation: Framing the Project
Lesson 4: Project Planning: Laying the Foundation
Lesson 5: Project Planning: Developing the Plan
Lesson 6: Project Planning: Building the Team
Lesson 7: Project Execution: Monitoring and Managing
Lesson 8: Project Control: Managing Chaos
Lesson 9: Project Closure: Tying Up Loose Ends